what to visit in giulianova’s
Giulianova Lido presents itself as a great and elegant seaside centre for it wide beach of fine golden sand, in a setting of palm trees, oleanders, pine trees and flowers that surround the entire promenade.
The Lido is characterized by its classic Mediterranean climate and for its singular location between the sea and the mountains.
The city of giulianova
Giulianova is famous as a city of art that is rich in treasures to be discovered, especially in the upper part of the historical city centre. Undoubtedly fascinating is its singular position; overlooking the Adriatic Sea the city is located at the foot of the Apennines and in between there is a vast, green hill zone.
For this reason Giulianova offers tourists the beauty of a seaside holiday a few kilometres from the mountains and the hills.
In fact, the closeness of the Gran Sasso d’Italia Mountain lets you visit the Majella National Park, the Gran Sasso and the Laga Mountains National Park, the Parco region, the Sirente-Velino and the Abruzzi National Park that is famous around the world.
Easily reached from any location thanks to the proximity of Pescara Airport (only 40km), the city of Giulianova is equipment with modern facilities and tourist infrastructures. As well as the presence of sporting facilities for tennis, swimming, sailing, windsurf, bocce/bowls, minigolf, basketball, five a side football and skating. In some areas there is also the possibility to practice deep sea fishing and diving which is a crown jewel for enthusiasts.
Additionally, thanks to the new system of foot bridges it is possible to reach the neighbouring towns by bicycle, by using the bike tracks along the sea and the luxuriant, and also shady, pine groves.
Giulianova is also equipped with a highly equipped fishing and tourist port that dates back to 1913. Giulianova Porto is the home for an important fish market where, at any time of the day, it is possible to “taste” the perfume of the freshly caught fish.
The historical city centre
Amongst the representative monuments in the area of Giulianova Lido it is worth visiting the Church of Santa Maria by the Sea, Giulianova’s oldest church that goes back to the 12th century and has been renovated and transformed a number of times. The church is distinguished by its terracotta facade embellished by the magnificent early 14th century portal. Another tourist attraction is the Church of the Nativity that was built at the beginning of the 20th century. Then there is the “Kursaal”, a Liberty style structure that goes back to the beginning of the 20th century that was recently renovated and adapted for conventions, exhibitions and cultural events.
Of particular architectural/religious in the upper part of the city there are:
- the Benedictine Convent;
- the Church of Saint Anthony built in 1556 that is rich in baroque ornaments and stucco bas-reliefs;
- the Duomo of Saint Flavian, an octagonal church on the Abruzzi coast. Built in the early 16th century it is covered by a semi-spherical dome surmounted by a lantern;
- the beautiful Sanctuary of the Most Holy Madonna of the Splendour built on a hill following the miraculous apparition of the Madonna between the end of the 15th century and beginning of the 16th Inside you can admire the statue of the Madonna of the Splendour;
- the Monumental Way of the Cross through bronze groups created by the sculpture Ubaldo Ferretti;
- The Church of the Misericordia;
- The “V. Bindi” Civic Pinacoteca (Art Gallery) that brings together many painters of the “Neapolitan School” from the early years of the 17th century to the start of the 20th century;
- The “V. Bindi” Council Library which, with its more than 25,000 volumes, is one of the region’s most complete libraries;
- The civic museum and the Splendour museum of modern art where you can admire the works of the best artists of the second half of the 20th century;
- The Benedictine Monastery and the Montegrappa Stairway, the ancient road that connected the lido and the town.
The neighbouring towns
Amongst the places in the surroundings of Giulianova worthy of particular mention located in the Province of Teramo: we remember the main historical monuments such as the ancient 12th century cathedral, the Roman theatre, the Church of Saint Anna, the ancient 6th century cathedral, the Church of Saint Anthony and the Church of the Madonna of the Graces.
The small town of Mosciano S. Angelo where we find the Convent of Seven Brothers, an ex Benedictine Monastery that is famous for its medieval bell tower and its various 17th century frescoes.
The small town of Atri, famous for its Cathedral, the Roman era Town Hall, the cloister, the 15th century bell tower, the Capitolare Museum with its painted majolica, the Acquaviva Ducal Palace (first half of the 14th century). The Sanctuary of Saint Gabriel of the Addolorata, one the biggest, most frequented religious centres in Italy.
Castelli, a town famous for centuries of artistic ceramic production where you can also the mother church of Saint John the Baptist, the small church of Saint Donato and the Ceramic museum. Cittadella del Tronto, famous for the Bourbon fortress founded around the millennium during the Spanish domination and the Abbey of Montesanto, a Benedictine monastery which, according to tradition, was built in 542 at the behest of Saint Benedict of Norcia, one of the region’s most important.
Campli, rich in history and art. Standing out amongst its monuments are the Farnese Palace (14th century)., the Church of Saint Maria in Platea, the Holy Stair (18th century), the 14th century Romanesque Church of Saint Francis and the National Archaeological Museum (6th century AD).
Come and visit these fantastic places!
HOTEL FABIOLA SNC DI CENSORI ALBERTO & C.
Lungomare Zara - Giulianova TE 64021
Sede legale:V. Nervi GIULIANOVA (TE) 64021